Summer

As I begin my fourth summer as an educator, I decided that I want to spend less time in digital spaces like social media. In fact, I've decided a lot of life-changing type things this summer and this space is a great place to reflect on the changes. I like lists.

1. I have decided to focus on my health. I've joined Pure Barre and am trying out a couple of cardio options. Pure Barre is extremely hard and it kicks my butt, but I'm already seeing results. The past year was difficult on so many levels. Commuting, hating my job, and being exhausted all the time further contributed to the downfall of my healthy living. When I lived alone, eating healthy was a little easier, because when you're alone...or when I'm alone, I'm less likely to eat as much, simply because it's less of a social thing. When I lived alone, I ate very moderately during the week and the weekend dates were kind of a free for all. That doesn't work when every day is a free for all. Anyway, I have made significant changes. I'm avoiding cow milk because I know that my body doesn't really like it, even though I do. So far I'm about 10 days into a Coconut milk replacement. I'm making it okay. I'm living off of Tropical Smoothie Cafe/ at home versions to reduce caloric intake. I eat Cheerios as snacks. I eat fruits and veggies for snacks. I refuse to buy processed type foods. I'm not the Whole 30ing because there are some things that I'm just not willing to give up (occasional night time cookies with John). Still, there's definitely been significant changes. I went to an Orange Theory class yesterday afternoon and hated every minute of it. It was so cult-like. The instructor reminded me of an old friend, but I didn't care to reunite. I think that those classes work really well for some people, but I don't think that's me. I am going to a spin class today at noon. I'm really hoping that's the fit that I'm hoping for with cardio. I don't like exercising. It's awful. But, I like how I feel when I exercise. I like the effects of exercise. I like how my clothes fit when I'm not chubby. I want to be healthy. In the past, I've reduced size in a very unhealthy way, and I think that this fitness kick can maybe address that. There are exciting things on the horizon for 2018.

2. Marriage. John and I have been talking a lot about marriage lately. I accepted a job in his hometown for this fall. I'm going to be living with his mom until he graduates in December. While I hate to leave our home together for a few months, I absolutely could not keep working at my previous school. It was taking everything out of me. We are also in the plans to build a garage apartment that will eventually match our house. We are building the garage apartment first because it will be cheaper, yet will still provide the space we need for a home. I am very excited about meeting with a potential builder next Friday. Although John isn't much of a planner, he's been great at recognizing that something like this takes planning and he's really doing a great job at making the plan for us to have a home together. It may seem kind of backward that we are building a home before getting married, but I honestly believe he's going to be proposing soon. I can't decide if it will be this summer before I leave our home together, or whether it will be in the fall. Either way, I'm excited about this fall.

3. New Job. I mentioned in #2 that I got a new job. It's such a great school. I never thought I wanted to come back to North Alabama. Maybe I would feel differently if I had gotten a job in Shelby County, but since I never did, I've seen some pretty shitty parts of Alabama. I hate East Alabama the most. Even Auburn has it's severe faults because unless you make enough money to live in the bougie parts, you're really just still in the black belt of Alabama, surrounded by poverty. Those bougie parts just create little worlds outside of the poverty. Living in East Alabama has really changed my perspective on a lot of things regarding politics and the world in general. Before, I think I had a romanticized view of poverty, but now I feel like I've consistently seen so many awful parts of poverty and a community that doesn't value education, that I am not sure how things can improve in those areas unless the people's state of mind changes drastically. Okay, enough negative. I have an awesome new job. I am going to be closer to home than I've been since graduating high school. Potentially building an awesome place to live. There are a few sad things like having to leave my animals for 4 months and leaving John.

4. What I'm allowed to do instead of being on my phone with social media: Blog, read, exercise, to be decided.

Comments